Thursday, April 24, 2008

Lesson Eighteen Update

If this lesson on tolerance is a tough one for you, you may be comforted by the words of the writer G.K. Chesterton who said, "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." When we love our faith, we want others to love it, or at least respect it, as well. We just have to remember to defend our faith the right way.

While I was buying my groceries this afternoon, I was thinking some more about our conversation on receiving communion--the where, when, and why--and in some ways, I think it can be compared to our thinking about heaven and purgatory. When you understand that being in heaven means being with God, purgatory makes sense; I want to be ready and made right before I go to God. Now apply that kind of reasoning to your thinking about the Eucharist. Once you understand what the Eucharist means, don't you want to be ready and made right to receive Jesus? That means that you are fulfilling all the requirements that the Church has professed that will make you ready to receive the Body and Blood of Christ.

I found an excellent article on the Catholic Answers web site that may answer some of your questions on this topic. It is written in the form of an imaginary conversation between a Catholic and a non-Catholic. If you read it, let me know what you think about it.
Why Is Communion for Catholics Only?

In case you're interested, here are my notes from today's lesson as well.
Lesson Eighteen Notes

Have a wonderful week! Don't forget, we have a big review lesson in two weeks, so don't wait until the last minute. I will get a study guide up ASAP.

No comments: